Alpha Delta Phi at Williams College , Williamstown, MA, 1902, Unknown

$ 25.00

Framing options (if desired):
Traditional Black frame - $70
Cherry Red frame - $70
Rich Brown Frame - $70
Traditional White Frame - $70
Framing Information

Alpha Delta Phi at Williams College , Williamstown, MA
Unknown, architect(s). From the American Architect and Building News, 1902. 6 by 7.25 inches. VG+ condition with browning around the edges and light crinkling.
Photogravure. Alpha Delta Phi (''ܒ_) is a Greek-letter social college fraternity and the fourth-oldest continuous Greek-letter fraternity in the United States and Canada. Alpha Delta Phi was founded on October 29, 1832 by Samuel Eells at Hamilton College and includes former U.S. Presidents, Chief Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. Senators among its 50,000+ alumni. Today, the name refers to both the all-male fraternity and the Alpha Delta Phi Society, which separated from the fraternity in 1992 and permits co-educated chapters. On October 29, 1832, Samuel Eells gathered four other members, two from the Phoenix and two from the Philopeuthian, to a meeting in his room, No. 15 Back-Middle, Kirkland Hall at Hamilton College. The four other men were Lorenzo Latham, John Curtiss Underwood, Oliver Andrew Morse and Henry Lemuel Storrs. At that meeting, Eells drew up the fraternity's constitution while he and Latham together drew up the fraternity's emblem and symbols. Later in the year other members were added and thus the first chapter of the Alpha Delta Phi was in full operation by the beginning of 1833. This picture is extremely hard to find. The Greek Letter Men had a very small circulation during this time and these original photogravures only appeared in a very limited number of issues. It measures 6 by 7.25 inches. Has a mat border and foam core backing (not attached to the picture). The whole picture measures approximately 8.5 by 11 inches (with border). Extraordinary detail in this early photographic print. Shrink wrapped.

Related products